Monday, January 23, 2006

A Grain Of Sand Indeed!

Not too long ago I posted that inspirational poem about the oyster and the grain of sand inside it. Little did I know that I would be given "a grain of sand" in the passage way(urethra) that passes out urine. Anybody who has had this "grain of sand" would know what I am talking about.

It starts off as an irritation and then develops into a third degree torture. You cannot find any comfortable position and you feel nausea as well. Then your whole body sweats due to the extreme pain. You double up with pain and couldn't care less what people are thinking when they see you walking to the doctors' office with one hand on your side and your head looking down on the floor. You just want the pain to go away. Before the pain can be made to go away you will receive more pain. The needle into the arm to get blood for tests. Another prick on the finger tip to check for diabetes and a double on the rear, the pain killer, which is what I was waiting for. Even that shot took two hours to take effect. Then another needle on the back of the palm to give the drip.

When the drip filled up my bladder I was taken for an ultra-sound scan which didn't clearly show the "grain of sand". When I went to the 'loo' I was able to let go of all that fluid. The doctor said maybe it got flushed out. I was able to go home around 5.00pm. I checked in at 10.00am.
At least now I know it wasn't my kidneys, or some other serious thing that had gone wrong inside my body. Thank God for that.

Now I have to drink lots of water. A friend said she heard that drinking beer could also help. So, cheers mate! I am certainly no oyster! heh heh ... it's good to be free from pain.

No comments: