Thursday, May 11, 2006

Local 'Hot' News

It was reported that a Member of Parliament tried to influence the Customs Department to 'close one eye' over an illegal import of sawn timber from Indonesia. It seems he(The MP) is the sole proprietor of the company that was involved in this case. This issue was brought up in Parliament by the opposition leader. Is this something new? Something unusual? Unheard of? NAH....

What made the news was the support given to this issue by the Chief of the Backbencher's Club. The BBC is part of the political party that is in power today in this country. For somebody from the ruling party to support a motion from the opposition - this is unheard of. It is not only news but made history. That man has character. Unfortunately the powers that be were not impressed by his actions and so he resigned from his post. That was a sad day for Malaysian politics and showed the immaturity of most Malaysian politicians. Enough said.

The news nearer to home is a number of parents are driving their children to a town called Sungai Petani so that their children can take part in the inter-district tennis tournament. Some of them have to wait from morning to 7.00pm while their children run around the tennis courts in the hot sun! I was more fortunate as one of the parents kindly offered to give my son a lift to the tournament leaving me free to post my blog (heh heh). Of course I phone him every now and then to see how he and his friends are faring. He seems to be enjoying himself.

Much nearer to home, a Royal Military Air Force plane(Pilatus PC-7 MK II) crashed into the padi fields about less than 1km from my house. I could see the tail of the plane sticking out into the air from where I was standing which was about 100m from my house. You could hear the sound of ambulances and police cars and helicopters bringing some excitement to the locals. As there was no explosion, I sincerely hope no one was seriously injured. We will get the details in tomorrow's paper. Couldn't take the picture with my H/P due to the distance. There is a railway line and the North-South Highway between me and the plane, not to mention the 1000m distance!

Picture from a local newspaper.

No comments: