Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Who's cooking?

We were playing doubles with some new friends and to have a good game we (my wife and I) split up. She was now my opponent. Many of my old tennis friends believe I won't play my best when my wife is on the opposite side. This is not true ofcourse but neverthless believed by these people. So when I made a good shot which saw her running to return it but couldn't, because it simply was too good a forehand drive(heh heh), my partner immediately congratulated me and at the same time said most probably I will be getting 'moi'(porridge) for dinner tonight.

It was obvious that this guy doesn't know us that well, otherwise he would have known that my wife doesn't cook and that I am the one who buys dinner, lunch and breakfast!

Eating out1 Posted by Picasa

These days a family could get by eating outside food. We have been doing that since we were married. During my father's time it was different. The man worked and brought home the money while the woman took care of the house which includes preparing the food. Nowadays the situation is not the same. Especially when both parties are working. There's no time for cooking, at least not for us anyway. Our lunchtime wasn't the same and the boys also had diffferent times according to their school activities. So, I used to eat by myself and bought food for the boys so they had lunch when they got home, while my wife ate at the school canteen. Dinner was according to mood. If we decided to eat bread then we all stayed home and that was our dinner - bread with jam or butter or cheese or sausages or just dipped in chicken curry (from the lunch).

Eating out Posted by Picasa

If we felt like going out then we had a choice of 'kari mee', 'want tan mee', 'koay teow theng', 'nan' with 'tandoori chicken', 'tosai' or 'chapati', 'inyeong', 'yee mee', 'fried sotong', 'satay', etc... Fridays was always restuarant food with at least 4 dishes - scrambled egg with bacon, pork, vegetable soup, sweet & sour fish. What more can a man ask? We have so many people cooking for us. We also don't have to wash the dishes! The important thing is you also have to earn enough to pay for this style of living. Food is not that expensive here so we get by.

So, on with the game and play to win. Nobody is eating porridge tonight.

6 comments:

blurred esh said...

uncle! when i come back we play together la.! but i bet my skills are already karat-ing hahaa..

;o)

Siva said...

Can play one la...We can arrange a foursome. Me, aunty, Calvin and you. How about that? I am sure it will be a good game.

blurred esh said...

hahaha.. can can! altho i think calvin can already cover for me! ;o)

He and Brian are so tall now.. i think i saw them pass by my house the last time i went back..

gosh.. i remembered them shorter than me.. *sigh*

Siva said...

Last month he went to Melaka for the MSSM. Good experience for him even though he kena from the Bukit Jalil player.

Siva said...

Cooking was never my strong point. She would like to cook but the eczema got in the way. So we settled for whatever we could get our hands on. Both of us are not fussy and neither are our boys. Tonight after three sets, we decided to eat durian for dinner. Then bought two 'cha siu pau' and two 'thua pau' for breakfast. Life is what you make of it. As they say, if you are given lemons make lemonade. Unlike you. You were given a wok, so cook. heh heh..

Siva said...

And you forgot the jagung 'cooker' if that's what you call it.. hehehe
By the way, where did you buy those jagungs? I am supposed to buy them for KKL.