Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Another Sad Case

Went to a town called Sungai Petani which is approximately 36 miles to the south of where I stay. The purpose of this visit was to check on my childhood friend who was knocked down by a speeding car while he was riding his motorbike.

He was unconscious for 3 days. By the time I heard about it he had regained consciousness. I took my son along for the drive as I tend to get sleepy on long drives. He recognized me when I walked towards his bed. He had 5 broken ribs which had done some damage to his insides. He had a tube running from the injured side leading to a container - to drain away the blood. He was bleeding internally. Fractured his collar bone. That bone was already fractured a long time ago when we were boys. Both of us fractured our collar bones.

His head received a hard knock and so the doctor had sent him to the hospital in Alor Star to get a scan. Fortunately the head was intact. The problem now was his immediate family were all living in Alor Star, 36 miles away. They needed to have him transfered to the Alor Star Hospital so one of them could look after him. After talking to the hospital authorities, he was transfered to the Alor Star Hospital.

Went to see him yesterday. He was showing signs of withdrawal. He had taken up smoking a long time ago. Without cigarettes for 8 days, he was very restless and wanted to go home where he would have more freedom. He definitely would not be allowed to smoke at the hospital. He kept asking me to send him home. I had a hard time trying to explain that I could not take him out of the hospital in his condition. The tube going through his side was still there. I could see the blood oozing out. He also needed another tube to the bladder to remove urine. He had another one supplying oxygen as they suspected his lungs might have been damaged.

Went to see him today. Same story. He wants to go home. He hasn't improved. He will start babbling every now and then. Tried to keep him in conversation which was not easy as he had only one thing on his mind. He kept asking me if I was coming in the evening to send him home. I think the problem is not only related to smoking but the fact that he is in a helpless situation. He was one of those very independant and macho characters. He trained guard dogs and now he can't even go to the toilet. He is bed-ridden. That is a stressful situation.

He wanted to shift his position a bit higher up the bed. Tried to help together with his sister who was on the other side of the bed but to no avail. He was too heavy and I could only hold one side of his body. Obviously the fractured collar bone side could not be held. I was also not as strong as I used to be. Called in some help from the hospital staff and managed to shift him a little. As he was about to doze off I sneaked out.

He did call me using his sister's cell phone to remind me to come and get him. I will be going to see him at 12.00 noon tomorrow. Hope his internal bleeding would have stopped by then so that the healing process can begin.

No comments: