Monday, February 12, 2007

First Time For Everything

We have never opened up our home for any function before. So, when I was nearing 58, my wife said now would be a good time to try it. We planned to invite a small group of close friends. That itself was a big headache. When you sit down and write the names, the list is not so small anymore. This was one of the many obstacles that we had to cross. Somehow we trimmed it down to 12 and duly informed our 'victims' that they were required to present themselves at our residence for lunch. When all had confirmed their participation after trying their best to find out what the occasion was for, we started to plan the menu.

There is no cooking in this house so everything has to be catered. We wanted to keep it simple so we ordered chicken and mutton (Indian restaurant). There will be no rice this time, so we ordered 'capati' and 'idli'. We also ordered fried chicken (Chinese restaurant) called 'inchi-kibin', whatever that means. That looked very simple. After a few days someone told us it is better to have more food than less food, so I rushed to the Indian restaurant and increased the chicken quantity and the 'capati'. I checked with him three times to make sure he didn't forget my order and to make sure there was sufficient salt in the curry. I also told him none of us was diabetic. I remembered the last time I ate there the cook didn't put enough salt. He reassured me everything would be fine.

That morning we went to the market to buy some fruits. We managed to get 'nangka' and 'papaya'. At 11.30 I took my wife to the restaurant to collect the food. The man told us everything was ready except the 'capati'. The person who makes the 'capati' hasn't turned up for work! I told him my guests will be arriving very soon. What are they going to eat with the curry? My wife settled for rice. Lucky fellow. I would have made him sweat longer. She also ordered 'papadom', fried fish and vegetables that she said looked good. We collected the 'inchi-kibin' from the Chinese restaurant and went home to wait for our guests.

They all arrived on time and soon everybody was enjoying the meal. We were all 'yakking' away so much that I forgot to bring out the 'papadom'. I went in to open a bottle of wine but was having some trouble with it. Fortunately an expert wine bottle opener was present that day and she opened the wine bottle with ease. The wine was sipped slowly by some while others just gulped it down. No matter. As long as the bottle was emptied. Then someone, who had found out that it was my birthday, had brought a cake and I was made to blow out the candles(there was not enough candles though!). The 'yam cake' was delicious though.

All in all it was a good time for all who were present and a very good experience for us in organising such an event at our home. Maybe we might do it again for my wife's birthday, God willing.

No comments: